The Department is responsible for provision of strategic guidance and promotion of quality Education and physical education and Sports in the City.
- Plan, design and manage the education management system; the pre-primary, primary, secondary, special needs schools and institutions of the city including provision of the facilities and learning materials;
- Plan and conduct periodic supervision and inspections to quality assure the curriculum, methods of teaching, classroom and facilities;
- Conduct professional development programs for the teachers and Education Managers including formal training, refresher, knowledge exchange and work-based programs in the primary, secondary, special needs schools and vocational institutions;
- Sensitize and build awareness of the education services in the City and manage provision of alternative education programs for children without access to the formal education;
- Monitor and evaluate the private educational providers in the City to ensure conformity with the educational standards; and
- Monitor the implementation of physical education, sports and recreational programs in the City.